Receding gums can be a common dental issue, and they often raise questions about the feasibility of dental implants. If you’re wondering, “Can I have dental implants if I have receding gums?” you’re not alone.
What Causes Receding Gums?
Receding gums can occur due to various factors like poor oral hygiene, ageing, and even genetics. It’s like the soil eroding from the base of a tree; it makes the structure unstable. Below are the leading causes of receding gums:
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Falling short on dental hygiene is often the key driver behind receding gums. Regular brushing and flossing go a long way to prevent this issue.
- Age Factor: As you grow older, your gums naturally recede. It’s not entirely under your control but can be managed with regular dental check-ups.
- Overzealous Brushing: While brushing is essential, doing it too vigorously can have an adverse effect. Always opt for soft-bristled toothbrushes and a gentle hand to prevent receding gums.
- Tobacco Use: Smokers and those who use tobacco products are at a higher risk. Tobacco creates a sticky plaque that’s harder to remove, leading to receding gums.
- Teeth Grinding: You might be contributing to your receding gums without even knowing it. Teeth grinding, often stress-induced, can cause your gums to recede.
- Periodontal Diseases: Various gum diseases directly result from bacterial growth. These conditions exacerbate the recession of gums and must be treated without delay.
- Misaligned Teeth: Having crooked or misaligned teeth isn’t just about your smile. It can lead to unequal pressure on your gums, causing them to recede over time.
- Genetics: If your family has a history of receding gums or periodontal diseases, you might be at risk. This calls for early intervention and regular monitoring.
- Piercings: Jewellery in the lips or tongue can rub against the gums, potentially causing them to recede. If you have oral piercings, regular dental check-ups are crucial.
- Hormonal Changes: Fluctuations in hormones, often seen in women going through life changes like pregnancy or menopause, can also cause gums to recede.
Why is it a Concern?
Receding gums can expose the root of the teeth, making them susceptible to decay, infection, and even loss. Imagine walking on thin ice; it’s risky. Receding gums compromise the stability of dental implants. Without solid support, the risk of implant failure increases. Receding gums may also lead to longer surgery and a more extended healing phase. They can also impact post-implant success as they increase susceptibility to infections and other issues that may necessitate implant removal.
Can I Have Dental Implants with Receding Gums?
The answer to this question isn’t a simple yes or no; it depends on several factors:
- Severity of Gum Recession: The extent of gum recession plays a crucial role in determining your eligibility for dental implants. If the recession is minor and doesn’t affect the stability of the teeth, you may still be a candidate for implants.
- Bone Health: Dental implants rely on the support of the jawbone. If your gum recession has led to significant bone loss, it might affect the feasibility of implants. However, bone grafting procedures can sometimes address this issue, providing the necessary support for implants.
- Oral Health: Good oral hygiene is essential for dental implant success. Individuals with receding gums should maintain meticulous oral care to prevent further complications.
Our Dentist’s Approach
Let’s uncover what our dentist will actually do.
- Initial Assessment: Our dentist evaluates the state of your gums and bone density. It’s like a pilot’s pre-flight checklist; everything needs to be in order.
- Treatment Plan: Based on your condition, a tailored plan is drafted. Some might require prior treatment to stabilise the gums.
- Surgical Procedures: During surgery, extra care is taken to ensure that the implant is firmly seated, and chances of failure are minimised. It’s like a tailor meticulously sewing a custom suit; every stitch counts.
Why Opting for Excellence In Dentistry for Your Dental Implants is a Savvier Choice
Opting for Excellence In Dentistry for your dental implants guarantees premium care and expertise from our dedicated team. Our clinic is renowned for providing personalised and comprehensive dental implant services.
Our experienced implant dentist will take the time to understand your concerns, conduct a thorough examination of your dental health, and discuss suitable treatment options tailored to your individual needs and goals. With cutting-edge technology, such as digital imaging and advanced treatment planning, we ensure precise and accurate diagnoses. Furthermore, our friendly and supportive team will address any questions or concerns you may have, ensuring transparency and confidence throughout the consultation process.
Choose Excellence In Dentistry for your initial dental implant consultation and take the first step towards restoring your smile with professionalism, expertise, and customised care.